Sunday, June 23, 2013

Picnic Time!

I recently realized our family needed to keep a quilt in the car--you know, for emergency picnics and playground adventures!  I love simple patchwork so I cut up my fat quarter bundle of Anna Maria Horner linens (from Amanda) and whipped this up!  For those eagle-eyed fabric junkies, yes, I left out one of the feather prints (the purple/maroon one) because it just wasn't my fav.


I decided to try hand-tying a quilt for the first time!  I have to say, it won't be the last!  Super simple and quick!  I used pearl cotton and tied the center of every square and at each 4-square intersection (so roughly, every 4").  To see a how to on hand-tying, check out this VIDEO by Mary Fons.

My squares were cut at 9" so they finish at 8.5".  The quilt is about 60"x68"  I really love the texture and durability of the linen.  It's perfect for something that will be used outdoors with boys tromping all over it!  

For the back I had the perfect amount of this adorable Lucie Summers Summerville letter fabric!  I think  it's a nice contrast the craziness that's on the front!  I also used some premade Anna Maria Horner binding I've had for a while.  I can't wait to get this washed and in the car.....I feel a picnic coming on!

9 comments:

Jessica said...

Completely in love with this! It's amazing what simple patchwork does for the soul, isn't it? :) Love that you're creating a picnic blanket totally for usage!

Lisa Lisa said...

Love it! So fun! I've never tied a quilt but might have to give it a try :)

Gemma@prettybobbins said...

What a gorgeous picnic rug! I love it and the back is the perfect pick :)

Liz said...

It looks so great! The hand tying is perfect for a picnic quilt :)

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Gorgeous, front and back! The back is really a great contrast. Thanks for the link to Mary Fons. I'm going to see how she does it!

Lindsay Conner said...

This looks great... after reading your post, I might have to give tied quilts a try!

Tennjenny said...

Beautiful! I just hand tied a quilt for the first time. It was pieced from cashmere sweaters, so I really didn't have much choice. I can't say that I enjoyed it a lot, but it wasn't bad.

Linda said...

I love tying too. Quick, effective and satisfying. I think it suits scrap quilts really well, especially String Quilts. Enjoy your picnic/car blanket. Lots of impromptu outings this summer?

Jenny said...

do you use batting with your picnic quilts kelly?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...