Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A Quick Hexie Video



I've had many friends tell me about the Sewline glue pen for a while, but I stubbornly kept hand basting my hexies.  I finally caved and gave it a try.  Ummmmm, I feel really stupid I didn't do this sooner!  While I use the Sewline pen, others have said Elmers and other cheaper options are out there.  Personally, I like the small pen shape of the Sewline and I know it's safe for my fabric, but feel free to experiment.  No one is paying me to promote a certain brand, I'm just sharing my experience. Here's a quick little video of how it works!


I'm currently making two hexie projects, but the one I'm most excited about are these large (2" per side) hexies that take a charm size square to make.  I'm using almost every print Anna Maria Horner has ever produced!  I've almost finished with the hexie part--last count was 260!--but now I have to start on the tedious triangle making.  Boo for boring!

10 comments:

Sarah Bailey said...

I find it's much easier to remove the papers if I avoid gluing directly to the paper, instead only gluing the overlapping fabric edge. I do put a dot of glue on my first edge but otherwise it's all fabric.

TammyLB said...

Yes- I never glue to the paper, either. I LOVE the sewline glue pen- worth the extra price!

Elsa said...

I have a small hexie quilt with 930 pieces ~ all basted. I've avoided doing anything with it because of all those basting threads ~ Sewline glue pen ~ here I come!
Thanks for the tip!

k9dancer said...

Even if you do glue to the paper, once you are all sewn, a quick spritz with water will release the glue. This works with hand applique, too.

elnorac said...

Your hexies are so pretty! I was happy to learn about glue basting with a Sewline glue pen a while back, but I live near the beach, and a period of high humidity during the summer caused my glued edges to start popping apart. Oh, no!

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

oh gorgeousness! If only joining were as fun as basting. I love EPP in the basting stage =) Good luck!

Skootchover said...

I'm trying glue basting for the first time also. I'm using for 3" pieced hexies, but I have a 1/4" project that I would love to use it on, just hesitating because of the size.

Cassandra said...

Wow this is going to be gorgeous! Can't wait to see it :)

quiltingtaylormade said...

I've just started the La Passacaglia quilt from the Millefiori Quilts by Hammerstein. She talked about gluing and using paper clips to hold the corners while you glue the next one. Paper clips work great !!

Vicki McKeown said...

I tried this on several projects and when it came to getting the papers out the fabric had to be stretched to peel it off. I now use a tip given to me by a friend. Instead of basting through the fabric and paper, start on the back with one corner, tack a stitch, go to the next corner, tack, and so on. Then when you take the paper out you leave the tacking stitches in. Easy peasy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...