Tuesday, August 9, 2011

B*%$h, I Mean Beach, Photoshoot


Sea Glass quilt

I decided to drive to the beach today to take some pictures of the quilt I just finished.  I had the top done for some time, but I've delayed quilting it because I hate straight-line quilting and I HAD to straight-line this one.  I'm calling it Sea Glass because that's what it reminds me of.  Thus, I had to go to the beach for pictures.  Now, let me just say, I'm not a beach person.  I love the water, but I hate sand.  Ironically, I live near some of the most beautiful beaches (Destin, FL).  Well, today's photoshoot was a disaster!  I'll let you look at a few more pictures before I continue my story.
IMG_4948
Sea Glass quilt
Sea Glass quilt
Sea Glass quilt
Sea Glass quilt back
First off, I was coming from the gym so I was already a hot mess in long black pants and sneakers--not the best beach wear.  Also, I had to bring my youngest who is not quite 2 and loves the beach.  Imagine going to the beach with your kids and telling to stand in the hot sand and don't go near the water.  Yeah, that was fun.  Then, he proceeds to stick his hands in the sand and then rub his eyes.  FUN TIMES!  oh oh oh!  Let's not forget having to walk across the street and down the deck holding all my craft items and a hot, hungry kiddo.  Did I not mention it was lunch time?  Yeah, lunch time--it was freaking hot and we were freaking hungry.  Then, I put my pretty new quilt down on the dune for some texture with the plants growing in it.  MISTAKE!  The plants were actually weeds covered in stickers when then embedded themselves all over the back of my new quilt.  Lovely.
Here are some more pictures while you're laughing.
Love pillow
F, H, L pillow
I also decided to bring some older project to get some better pictures.  I mean, I was already going, I might as well make the most of my horrific time, right?
Crush pillow
This is my new pillow.  I love it.  I call it my Crush pillow since I have a complete crush on it.  Super soft voile and hand quilting...*sigh*
Close up of hand quilting
Closeup of hand quilting
Back of Crush pillow
Anywho!  My kiddo screamed and cried the entire time we were there--did you know that sand really likes to stick to tears and buggers?  Just something I picked up today.  After a frantic 10 minutes of snapping pictures, dodging tourists, calming a screaming baby and picking out stickers from my quilt, I ran to the car with my crying kiddo.  After dumping my projects in the back I managed to shake about a pound of sand off of my kiddo's face, clothes, and feet.  Cripes!  Give me concrete and a chlorine pool any day!

17 comments:

Marci Girl said...

I'm originally from Ft. Walton Beach! Seeing all your pictures sure does make me miss it. But, yes a young child at the beach isn't the best thing! Your pictures look great though!

Katie B said...

Oh, this stresses me out! Sounds just like something that would happen to me and my son. The heat makes me so grumpy! (Him too.) anyway, your beachy quilt looks fantastic, and I love your pillow. So great work despite your misadventures.

Katy Cameron said...

Oh dear, I think you qualify for today's horrible, no good, very bad day award, or at least the horrible, no good, very bad morning!

The creations look fab though...

Kirsten said...

Your sea Glass quilt is beautiful - love the backing too!

Tracey Jacobsen said...

oh I'm sorry for the disaster Kelly! Poor baby with sand in his eyes...

The sea glass is really pretty though. I especially love that little patchwork block... genius. The pillows are pretty too.

Unknown said...

Regardless of the day, I think that quilt is spectacular! I am in love!

Molly said...

How funny! I often take my quilts on the road for location photo shoots. I always wonder if people think I'm crazy.

Well you got some awesome shots of that beautiful quilt and projects so it was worth it in the end. Just don't ask your kids!

Cherie said...

My mom doesn't like the beach, either. In fact, after a trip a while ago, someone asked her how everything went. To which she replied, "Well, there's just so much sand!" Imagine that! Sand...at the beach...who would have thought ;)

Anonymous said...

It's funny-my roommate is from Fl as well and doesn't like the beach either. Nor do I. I have no idea why, but give me Colonial Williamsburg or a quilt shop any day.

Nancy D. said...

Your photos are great! The lengths you are willing to go to get good shot is heroic in my book when a little one is involved. I love the thought of the beach but actually being there with all the sand blowing around and getting all over everything sort of makes me crazy. Lol.

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh! I'd give anything to be able to hop into a car and be at the beach in no time. (No beach in Iowa.) Though you don't appreciate it right now, with a wee one in tow, maybe someday you will. In any case, your Sea Glass quilt is lovely - simple and just plain pretty. Nicely done. And your photos are beautiful. Your background beats the heck out of my old backyard fence!

Emily said...

I love that quilt! The colors are great and I really love the boxy patch. Very cool. Also cool? Your AMH pillow. I think I need to make myself one!

Poppyprint said...

I am SO with you on sand. We live near lovely beaches and where do we swim? The pool. No seaweed, no cigarette butts, no pointy rocks with barnacles! Despite your drama, the photos are gorgeous, as are all your projects!!! LOVE Sea Glass. The backing is perfect, too.

Lynette said...

awww That was no fun!!

felicity said...

I absolutely adore Sea Glass, especially that little block of squares you snuck in there. LOVED reading about your experience getting your photos....you made me laugh out loud at my desk at work!

Cascade Quilts said...

Oh, I can just imagine it all!!! LOL. I am with you on the beach sand though - what a mess it can be! I love love LOVE your 'beach glass' quilt though - what is the maker of the backing you used? It's just PERFECT! And I adore the one 'different' block! Fantastic job :) I am adding your blog to my blog roll :)

Rebecca Lynne said...

Love the pillow and I completely agree with the pool comment. Beaches look beautiful - in photos. ;) Glad you survived!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...