Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Wo-Wo-Wo-Wo-Wonderland!

Whoop! Whoop! Wonderland is DONE!
So, if you're curious, the title of the post is based on my mom's favorite song, Runaway.  It's an oldie, but a goodie!  I make up other songs to the tune of Runaway all the time.  I have no clue why!  I finished up my Wonderland quilt this week!  It's made with two jelly rolls and a quarter square ruler.  You can make your own template, but I work better (and keep my fingers) if I work with an acrylic ruler.

***Update: since some of you don't know the song I'm referencing, here's a link to it

Wonderland double hourglass quilt
It measures in the neighborhood of 60x70 so it's a perfect couch quilt.  This one is going in my etsy store, but if it doesn't sell in a few months I'll probably just keep it!
Close up of machine binding
The binding is machine stitched with invisible thread--I cannot tell you how many hours it saves to machine stitch the binding!
Back of Wonderland quilt
The backing is a Moda crackle print I found at my LQS and it was a perfect match to the dots in my binding.  It was fate so I had to have it--also, yardage of Wonderland is impossible to find so it was the best I could do. :) 

My birthday is Saturday and I'm going to be out of town for the weekend at a workshop (psst!  Anne Kelle will be there!!!!) so the blog will be a bit quiet until I get back and fire up the old sewing machine again.  I'm sure my machine will appreciate the break! 



17 comments:

felicity said...

Oh how gorgeous! I *adore* Wonderland. I have a Layer Cake and some other squares that I've been hoarding for a special project. What is the solid you used? I like that it brightens things up; Wonderland's background can look a bit dull sometimes but it certainly doesn't here.

Jan said...

Love your quilt.

Katie B said...

This looks awesome! Your poor sewing machine is going to be lonely without you.

Unknown said...

I love this quilt, and I love that song!!

stefanie said...

it's gorgeous, kelly! have tons of fun this weekend. kelle is just an absolute doll. i've enjoyed getting to know her and i know you will too. she's crazy talented. if you bring her homemade lemon cookies she'll love you forever!

i love that you machine stitch your binding too. i haven't needed to use invisible thread, but i may need to do that on an upcoming quilt. it will have a scallop edge binding. either way it's a huge time saver and i personally like the look of it more than hand stitching and i know it's more durable.

have a safe trip!! can't wait til you are here for good so we can hang out!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Super duper quilt!
Have a lovely birthday Kelly, and a fun workshop xxx

Teresa said...

I love your quilt!

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, the quilt looks fab! Might not forgive you for getting that song stuck in my head now though...

Happy birthday for Saturday!

Deborah said...

I keep loving everything you make!

SeeLifeMarvels said...

Very eye catching! Happy B-Day - early.

Tracey Jacobsen said...

I love me a nice double hourglass... looks so clean and crisp.

And our internet was finally acting a bit faster than dial-up, so I watched your FMQ and basting video -- you've sold me on spray basting. I was curious though if you always start with the top and if there was a reason, or if it mattered??? I was just curious.

Cute projects! Happy Birthday friend!

Jenny said...

Runaway by Bon Jovi? or is there another runaway song??

happy birthday kelly, cant wait to hear about your weekend away!

Debbie said...

What a great quilt - love the colors! So glad you didn't put a border on - it's perfect w/o!

**nicke... said...

i hope you have a wo wo wo wo wonderful birthday! and a super fun time at the workshop!

**nicke... said...

love the quilt also. i love momo fabric a ton!

Jenniffier said...

That is such a lovely quilt it makes me want to go work on my wonderland quilt. First I have to finish my current project :(

Jacey said...

It's beautiful. I love the quilt, and the backing is perfect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...