Sunday, June 19, 2011

Pillow Talk Swap 5 Complete!


I hope you all are prepared for all the pictures!  This is my completed pillow for PTS5.  I tried to take fabrics I knew my partner would like and create something a little unique (in other words, not in her mosaic).  I paper pieced this using a block found on www.quilterscache.com.  This top took more time and planning than I put into most quilts!  I had to cut out all the paper, layout the design, number and/or letter all the pieces so I knew what went where, assign a fabric to all of those numbers/letters, and, eventually, sew it all together!  I made some seriously stupid mistakes while making this:
1.  I accidentally cut off the seam allowance while trimming a completed piece (there are 32 pieces) so I had to redo that one.  Luckily, I had extra of the special fabrics used in that one!  I would have been in big trouble  if it would have happened with the Mendocino mermaids for example.
2.  I miscalculated how large of a solid triangle I needed so I had to take a LOT of time making sure I lined up my pieces so they would fit.  This was a massive pain in the butt!  I prefer to cut large and trim with paper piecing, but this time I barely had enough to cover the space.
3.  I laid out the back pieces in the wrong order so the under-piece was on top.  Trusty old seam ripper to the rescue again!

The solid used is Essex linen/cotton blend in Sand.  The print fabrics include Heather Ross' Mendocino, Macaroni Love Story,  Munki Munki, and Lightning Bugs and Other Mysteries, and Denyse Schmidt's Flea Market Fancy.  I also hand quilted around each of the stars in coordinating thread.  The back is made from a Moda Sunkissed print and a little Heather Ross.  The pillow is 24" square and will make an excellent floor or throw pillow!  I sure hope my partner likes it because I'm going to be crying all the way to the post office!













7 comments:

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Kelly, this is SOOOOOOO gorgeous!!! Your partner is one lucky girl, for sure! I know if this shows up at my house, I will definitely jump up and down with joy!

Lynette said...

This is just gorgeous! I love the way you've used different colors for the quilting. What a naughty project to go through so many glitches! ;D (I've certainly done the cut-at-the-seam-instead-of-the-allowance thing!)

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

all of the extra planning and extra work was well worth the effort. It's beautiful!

Tracey Jacobsen said...

I was studying this on fb, and wondering how you did it... very cute and well made... Maybe one day I'll get you as a swap partner. ;)

Katie B said...

I adore this pillow! I truly don't know how you'll send this away to your (lucky!) swap partner.

Jodi-JoJoMia's Place said...

It is soooooo beautiful! Great job, beautiful fabrics, design, etc. Your partner will love it!

Amanda ~ A Crafty Fox said...

Oh, I want to wail I want this so badly! I love love love it so much! (and it is beyond perfect for me :) )

Could I be lucky enough to have you as a partner twice?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...