Saturday, June 25, 2011

Watch Me Free Motion!

I'm not calling this a tutorial.  It's more of a visualization for reference.  I don't really have anything new to say on the subject, but when I was learning, I liked the videos of someone actually quilting, so I made one!  I love to free motion quilt--mostly because I suck at straight-line quilting! :)  I learned almost everything I know about FMQ from Elizabeth Hartman's tutorial.  I set up my machine (stitch length 0, tension 6.2, feed dogs down, size 90/14 needle) and my quilt just like her.  The only thing I notice I do differently is how I hold the quilt.  I like both hands on top.  That's just my personal preference and where my hands are comfortable.  I quilt from the bottom right corner to the middle, then back to the right side until half of the quilt is done (see diagram in Elizabeth's tutorial).  Then, I turn the quilt around and finish the other side.  I usually quilt about a 12" area at a time, but I try and base it on the blocks in my quilt.  This way, I don't get lost and I don't cross over an area I've already sewn (don't cross the streams!).  That last bit was just for Kaelin, ignore my sad attempt at humor.  Also, ignore my scraggly hair, no makeup appearance--I swear I'm usually....well, sometimes, better groomed!  Toward the end of the video, I didn't realize the quilt was obstructing the camera view, but I'm sure you all have gotten the point by then!





These are pictures of the area I quilted in the video, both front and back.






If any of you want another video/better video of this process, just let me know and I'll have hubby film something for me.

8 comments:

FlourishingPalms said...

I also recommend using Neutrogena hand cream on your hands before you begin. Without leaving oil or cream on the fabric, you get an even better hold on your quilt. I always use it, and the bonus is soft hands!

Kaelin said...

I was just trying to decide what movie I wanted to put in and fall asleep to, and I'm totally going with Ghostbusters now! Reminds me of the crazy day I mailed my DQS10 quilt, because I was wearing my Ghostbusters tshirt that day, lol!

Awesome tute! Wish I could FMQ that fast.

P.S. If that's you with scraggly hair and no makeup, then consider me jealous! Wish I looked that cute when I'm schlubbing around my sewing room :)

Emily said...

I love the video! It makes me really feel the NEED to get my main machine to the shop - since it's the only one I can really FMQ on!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You make it look so easy! I have a special piece for mine, but I still don't move that smoothly, like you. Yay for videos!!

Thanks Kelly :-)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh thank you - I have literally just unwrapped my new sewing machine for my birthday and this has really inspired me!! Damn those celebrations, I want to sew!!!!

Leslie said...

fun video....it is making me want to try FMQ again

Marci Girl said...

I've been saving this video for a while in my Google Reader for when I had time to really watch it, so today was the day, and my son was on my lap. Well at the beginning when you say Hello, my son thought you were talking directly to him and proceeded to tell you Hello, like 100 times. Great video, I have still yet to try FMQ, but hopefully sometime soon!

Anonymous said...

you make it look so smooth & easy. And I love hearing your voice. Now I can put your real voice to your writing - because right now you have a NZ accent ;)
And just FYI Abbie loved your music. She's just beed bopping along beside me LOL...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...