Tuesday, March 29, 2011

100th Post Confession

As this is my 100th post (wow!), I thought it was time I confessed something I've been keeping secret.  Normally, I'm not a good secret keeper--my hubby calls my mother, my son, and me "tellers".  We just can't help ourselves!  This secret, however, has been pretty easy to keep.  It's about my nephew.  He has yet to be born, but is due in April.  My sister-in-law (hubby's sister) and her husband picked a name as soon as they found out it was a boy.  *DEEP BREATH*  The name they chose is.....and I'm not making this up.......no joke......they're naming him

EZRA STEGOSAURUS

I think they must hate him.  Ezra is ok.  My kids have unique names so I'm cool with it, but Stegosaurus?  We thought she was joking for about a month.  Then, when I realized I would be making this child lots of handmade items, I needed to know his real name so I would have his initials correct--because, surely, Stegosaurus wasn't his real middle name!  How wrong I was!  My mother-in-law is so embarrassed that she has yet to tell anyone what the child's middle name will be.  Can you imagine applying for college, a credit card, a passport, your SATs with the middle name Stegosaurus?  People are never going to believe him!  It'll be cool when he's 5, but when he's 25, he's going to disown his parents!  We're taking bets as to whether he will change his middle name completely or just go by "S."  Anyway!  I was going to make her a quilt (duh) and I asked her if she had any preferences.  She asked if I could applique stegosauruses--is that a word?--all over the quilt.  Do you all know what a stegosaurus looks like?  All those spikes?  Is she crazy?  I decided I would applique ONE stegosaurus.  Any more than that and I'd be turned off applique for life!  I went with a very simple design selected by my hubby, wonky 9 patch.

For my nephew

Now I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing on the back.  I have one left over block that I'm thinking of piecing in.  This was, once again, an easy one.  I think I'm just a really lazy quilter.  I like to see quick results so I don't make a lot of complicated patterns.  Plus, the simple patterns usually allow me to see the fabric better and you know it's all about the fabric! :) 

So, my secret is out!  I will soon be the aunt to Ezra Stegosaurs.  On the bright side, at least it wasn't a girl.  They had decided on Gwendolyn Pocahontas.  Geez!

Quilt stats:  9 fat quarters cut into 18" squares.  Blocks finish at 16" once you make the wonky 9 patch.

26 comments:

stefanie said...

Naming a child is probably one of the most important decisions for a parent because the child's name is initially how the world will 'see' the child. So, it's disheartening for me to hear that they are putting their son at such a huge disadvantage with his choice of middle name. I guess some people think it's cool.

The quilt, thought is precious and I love the fabric choices. I love the look of wonky.

BijouxBaby said...

It's still not the worst middle name I've heard. A friend of mine is an aunt to Sophie Spaceghost.

I totally get preferring simple patterns that show of the fabric. Almost all of my quilts get made in less than a week.

Jenny said...

cute cute quilt kelly! does your SIL read this blog I wonder?
these names remind me of Frank Zappa and his kids' crazy names...
to each his own i suppose.

Unknown said...

Early April Fools?!?!? I love the quilt and the dino applique is lovely for a boy, regardless of middle name.

sew and so much more said...

This reminds me of when my son was 4 and I was pregnant with my daughter. We ask him what he might like to name his new little sister and he quickly replied," Traffic!"

Followed by," That's a good name Mom. Dontcha think?"

I had to laugh. No way that was going to happen but while in utero it was sort of her nickname. Baby Traffic. He was pretty sad when chose to name her Cheyenne (also an unusual name but more acceptable than traffic.)

sew and so much more said...

Forgot to say....I love the quilt! The colors are great and so is the pattern. Well done on the applique for both his first and middle :-) name too!

Crystal said...

Oh my!

Kelly said...

love that quilt...and i can relate to baby name drama. it's a VERY long story, but my niece's first and middle names are Jessica F.E. - her middle name is initials! and the story behind it is full of family drama. my mom is so embarrassed of it!!

despite all of that, you did a great job with the quilt!

KendasCrafts said...

That's really cute! I love the dinosaur! Don't feel lazy for easy piecing. Do what you like to do, and the fabric looks great!

Lisa said...

Well first of all I saw this pic on flickr with no explanation and my initial response was aww cute dino. And now I don't know what to think :) I mean the dinosaur is still cute and all but wow!

I do know that I can NEVER EVER EVER tell my boyfriend this. Because he will think it is the coolest thing ever. But he would argue they should of picked a cooler dinosaur like the t-rex and if we go down that road ever we will have a child with the middle name tyrannosaurus. Yeah I'll only ever tell him this if we break up just to punish the next lady in his life. Kidding... maybe... I'm terrible. I can't believe they are both in agreement on this.

Maybe they will get so much grief before baby Ezra meets the world and rethink it and then your blanket can just be a cute little inside joke.

But back to the quilt I love how you used the all-star fabrics in this layout. With so many patterns this block style it breaks them up nicely. I love the colors too.

RWL said...

i'm so confused that i can't even think of a clever comment.

wow. poor kid. (i mean, i'm sure they'll be great parents to him but still.)

is one of them a paleontologist (or however you spell it)?

Anonymous said...

I am a NICU nurse and to be honest, have heard of some pretty "interesting" names as well. But wow, there are no words for the poor boy. I'm even more curious as to the names of future children!!! But the quilt is adorable.

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

OMG, I'm so sorry. At least it's only his middle name and not his first name. And sigh - why do people keep picking long names, it's so hard to personalize stuff right? Love the little dinosaur though, the quilt is very cute!

~Michelle~ said...

Oh wow... no words. At least it's the middle name! Wonder why they chose that? Cute quilt, the appliques look nice :)

Leslie said...

those are the funniest names i have ever heard...here i was worried about my daughters initials being a curse word(DAM)....stegosaurus is way worse!

Leslie said...

i was so sidetracked by the baby name that i forgot to say how much i love the quilt. the pattern is so cute!! great job

Ali said...

If I tell my husband about this he will be insanely jealous and want to name our kids after dinosaurs. When we got married he almost changed his middle name to "Danger".

Jan Maree said...

Oh my goodness! I sure hope they are having a real good laugh at everyone's expence becauase if not........
Cery cute quite though

Angela said...

Well I think that you did a lovely job on the quilt given the circumstances. that is the best possible interpretation of this name. So good for you!

Maybe when they see him for the first time they won't like that anymore. You can hope! But at least it is his middle name. Did someone lose a bet?

Cherie said...

I initially saw this picture on Flickr, too, and I love Ezra. I guess it's because I love Better than Ezra (reminds me so much of my college years and hearing them in concert at a local bar in Baton Rouge), but I am blown away by Stegosaurus. Crazy, just crazy. Seems like I've read something recently on how decisions on college admission, etc. ARE related to names--what a disadvantage. I wish I could remember where I saw that....you could include it with the baby gift ;)

momto2wasd said...

Adorable quilt!! Sad about the name. Seems pretty selfish and egotistical on the part of the parents. I'm sure they will love him and all that, but why burden him with such a silly and cumbersome middle name. I have a long last name, but at least it's a name and not a noun.

AllieKatMom said...

Ummm....hmmmm.....ummmmm....well...its different.

Love the quilt :) So dang cute as usual, you are the best quilter I know.

Bry said...

The quilt is insanely adorable!!! When I saw it on Flickr I thought awwww!!

Now though I feel awful for the kid. I mean aren't the parents thinking ahead to when this kid is older than 5. I mean will anyone ever vote for a man with Stegosaurus as a middle name for President? Even just going to DMV is going to be horrifying experience for this poor kiddo. I would definitely change my name legally!

Lynette said...

Holy smokes!! lolololololol I didn't see this until now (posted while I was out of town) OH, my. Scott's shared some doozies that he's run into at the hospital, and this is not the worst - middle name of Stegosaurus is much better than first name of Latrina.

But, oh, how hard it will be for him when he's past early elementary age. Poor guy

Eileen {bluebirdluxe} said...

That is just the cutest quilt ever! :) ...maybe they'll change his middle name to Stegmond {is that a name?} or something :)

Shanley said...

I actually love the middle name, the school kids are going to be so jealous!! As someone with a unique name, it's actually turned out to be a good thing in my life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...