Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sara²

A friend of mine from high school, Sara, is a super talented photographer in Nashville (check out her site here).  She bought my Hooty quilt a while back and recently she requested another quilt more "boyish" for her baby boy shoots.  Yay!!!  I gave her a few options, but she really likes the It's a Hoot line--my kinda girl!  She also really likes squares--see, we're a match made in heaven!  This is what I came up with:
This is such a simple pattern made from FQs.  I love it!  The number of FQs you have equals the number of blocks you end up with so it's really easy to plan out.  Each block is 15" finished so this quilt is 45"x60".  I finished this in one night, cutting included!  That's how easy it is!  Hope she loves it as much as I do!
oh, if anyone is interested in how big I cut everything:
From each FQ
  • Cut 1 5.5"x22"  strip.  Then, cut this strip into (1) 5.5" square, (2) 2.5" x 5.5" rectangles, (2) 2.5" x 9.5" rectangles
  • Cut (3) 3.5" x 22" strips.  From one of these, cut (2) 9.5" x 3.5" rectangles.  From the remaining two long strips, cut (2) 3.5" x 15.5" rectangles
  • You will have some scraps, but not a ton.  If you really want to make the most from your FQs, cut the last three strips 2.5" in width instead of 3.5" and you can use the left overs as binding!

5 comments:

Amy said...

very nice! I need to make more boyish quilts also.thanks for the directions.Amy

Leslie said...

Thi is really a adorable quilt...I am going through my fabrics right now to see if I have some I can use to make this for a friend.

Sandy said...

I love this quilt! Is there a step-by-step pattern for it so that I can make one???

Unknown said...

I loved this project so much that I shared it on the FaveCrafts blog with credit to you: http://www.favecrafts.com/blog/fc/fat-quarter-quilts/. You are doing great things!

Kris Van Allen said...

I like this kind of pattern/formula/recipe - seems easily adaptable to charm pack/jelly roll combos

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...