Saturday, August 4, 2012

Free Motion Madness!

I recently got Angela Walter's new book Free-Motion Quilting and I think I'm in love!  If you've read my blog for any length of time you know that I love to free motion quilt, but I've been stuck in a stippling rut.  Don't get me wrong, I love stippling, but I wanted to expand my FMQ horizons.  Let me preface my review by saying I'm in no way being compensated or rewarded for my statements.  I bought this book on Amazon last week and I've been obsessed ever since!  This is the only quilting related book I've read cover to cover!  I spent a few days practicing on my son's Magna Doodle and some paper, then I moved on to my (home, not a long arm) machine:

Practicing my flowers and leaves a-la @angelafmq for the first time!

eeeeek!   Quilting I actually like that isn't stippling!  I think my monster Anna Maria Horner quilt will be getting the flower treatment soon!

Basting and planning my @angelafmq attack!
I knew I had this quilt top in my closet just waiting for some cool quilting so I busted it out today and got to work!  Make no mistake, it takes work.  You have to invest some time into practicing before you get the hang of it.  I'm sort of impatient and probably didn't practice as long as I should have, but I was eager to get started!

Far from perfect, but way cooler than I could have done before @angelafmq !  Thanks for such a great book!
Fun, right?!?!?  Angela takes you step by step through how to make 28 different designs.  Some come more easily to me than others.  Anything that involves a point or straight line is hard for me, but that's ok!  I know I'll get better in time.

Learning to live with the imperfections. Practice makes perfect, right @angelafmq ?
I'm learning to live with my "mistakes" because they are a part of the process.  Plus, no one is really going to notice or care once the whole quilt is done!

Whew! Bottom half done! I hope I've done @angelafmq proud!
I managed to get half way though this quilt today and I hope to finish up tonight.  The swirls are a little disheartening to me since I quilt myself in a corner and have to find creative ways to fill the holes, but I'm pushing through because I know the next time I quilt swirls, I'll do better!  Is that enough cheerleading-ra-ra-you-can-do-it for you?  :)  All in all, I'm going to make the bold statement that this is the most valuable quilting book I've ever seen!  I guarantee I will pull this book out 10 times more than any other in my stash!  Remember, she can only show you the steps, you will have to put in the time and effort to practice, but if you do, I bet you'll see some awesome results!

18 comments:

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

What a really fantastic blog post! My birthday is next month and I'm definitely treating myself to this book. Thanks for the review! PS All your designs looks fantastic!

Katie B said...

This looks awesome, Kelly! I got Angela's book in the mail yesterday. Can't wait to check it out!

Katy Cameron said...

Oh wow, that looks absolutely amazing! I think I need to get that book!

Debbie said...

oh I'm so impressed! GOOD for you!!! I have the book too - it looks fantastic at first glance - I just need to sit down & spend some time with it like you are. Very cool!

Amanda said...

oooo, I am so jazzed that this is supposed to hit my mailbox on Monday...I can't wait to try it out. What you have done so far is fantastic - great job!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

I have the book and now you have inspired me to actually start practicing, on paper and magna doodle first, of course

Melanie said...

I was so thrilled to see your post! I too love this book, but I'm still in the practicing stage. I haven't been brave enough to try it on fabric yet, but your quilt makes me want to start...

Thanks for sharing it with us!

**nicke... said...

you are getting so good! i am so impressed dear friend! xo

Chelsea said...

Oh, wow, you're just killing it! Way to go!!

I'm in love with that wishbone, I'm starting to realize I almost use it too often, but it's just too much fun. I should try the flowers next, yours look so good.

Tracey Jacobsen said...

great job Kelly!

I have no doubt you'll be famous with your own long-arm one day. ;)

Heidi Staples said...

Kelly, this is fantastic! I've stuck to straight line quilting so far, but this makes me want to give free motion a try. I'll definitely have to check out this book!

Susan said...

Wow you are a fast learner! All those patterns look so great. I will have to check out this book!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

How fantastic!!

Sheila said...

You're doing so well, Kelly! I have yet to tackle free-motion quilting...for some reason I'm totally nervous about it, although I'll never get better if I don't at least try, right?! Thanks for the "cheerleading-ra-ra-you-can-do-it!" ;)

Catskill Quilter said...

Your quilting is gorgeous, and I appreciate getting a chance to read about this book! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Good job!

I was just gifted with a friends old long arm and I am intimidated too! Glad to see that one of us has gotten out of the rut!

Pippa said...

Your quilting looks great! It reminds me that I really should step out of my rut-- I always use the same tried and true motifs when it comes to free-motion work.

Kara said...

I love your quilting! I too struggle with any straight lines and points.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...