Monday, August 9, 2010

Bee Blocks and Fabric Diet

I just finished this block for Anne from The Stitchin' Bee.  She wanted math-themed blocks that are clean and modern for her mathametitian hubby.  I actually took pen to paper to figure out the math on this one!  This wasn't my original idea, but I ended up liking it better.  I was going to make a pi and square root symbols, but the square root symbol was giving me difficulties so a scrapped it.  I was really nervous making this because Anne is so talented.  Her blocks are outstanding every single time and I wanted to be sure I delivered something she would like.  Fingers crossed......
I joined a new quilting bee.  Yeah, I know, but I couldn't pass it up when I saw who would be in my group.  I'm such a newbie and there are some superstars in this group!  This bee is a bit different.  We use our own fabrics and we pick the design of the blocks, but our fellow members can pick the colors you use for their blocks.  This is a preliminary mock up for Rene.  She wanted green, blue and white.  I have tons of fabrics in these colors so this was a breeze.  I have a few changes to the hexie line up you see here because I found some better matches.  After I hand sew all these together, it will be appliqued down onto background fabric and then I will do some embriodery around it.

I'm now in a support group for fabric-o-holics.  Five of us decided we really wanted to stop buying fabric for a while and we needed some help.  We take it on a month-by-month basis and we state at the beginning of the month what we are allowed to buy, if anything.  This month I am only allowed to buy backing and binding for the New Wave quilt top I finished.  It's for my cousin who is getting married in November.  I still haven't decided on a backing/binding yet.  I'm thinking of using the second to last green as a binding....or maybe an orange.....or maybe a red.....thoughts?  I just can't decide.  If anyone has any bright ideas or knows of the perfect fabric, let me know!  Anywho, I've gone 9 days!  Yeah me!


Roarke started school again today--hooray!  I needed a quick, one-night project, so I whipped up this grocery tote for his new teacher, Ms. Laura.  It was super tempting to keep it, but really, do I need another bag?

Met a new swap partner on Flickr, MaRisha.  I sent her some fabric left over from another project and she sent me this!  Airplane punch art.  Is it cool or what?!?!?!?  Roarke was so excited!  He said it was beautiful and was happy to put it up in his room.


I finished making my Modern Swappers partner a sewing machine cover.  This is my first project with hexies!  I completely ripped off the cover Christine made for me, but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?  I have to block out that one hexie because it would give too much of a clue who it is for and I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise!  I think I have one, maybe two more things to make for my partner then I can mail it off.  I can't wait!

6 comments:

Anne at Film and Thread said...

You captured what I wanted for the math quilt perfectly! My husband is going to go crazy for this block when he sees it. Thank you SO much!

I'm loving your hexagon projects. Your swap partners are going to be excited to receive them.

It is easy to be on a fabric diet where I live. The stores carry dreary fabric and it isn't even fun to go in them.

Tracey Jacobsen said...

those are awesome Kelly!

All of them -- the math blocks, the hexies, the waves, the kiddo, the bag, the cover! so impressed. :)

AllieKatMom said...

You have been busy! Love them all, as usual.
I am a little jealous that Roarke gets to go to school. Wish Aliya could but I guess we don't speak Spanish and we aren't poverty so she doesn't get to go....we find out tomorrow.

Luv 2 Kreate said...

WOW, this is a post packed full of projects! They are all wonderful.

I like the green in the wave quilt and think it would make a great backing color :)

Yea for you being able to hold out for 9 whole days not buying fabric! It is so hard to do...So proud of you, maybe some of your strength will rub off on me :)

PS Love my hexie block!

DianeY said...

All your projects are gorgeous & your math block is genious!

Angela said...

I adore your math block! I was a math major in college and it just makes me smile to see math in quilts...they are such a natural fit! So darling!

And of course your sewing machine cover is gorgeous. Hexagons have such whimsy!

And I'm kind of with you on the fabric diet thing...I just don't need anymore, but I'm drooling over the AMH voiles these days and I really want to make a dress out them for me! Maybe next month after some of my little quilts are finished.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...