Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Triangles and Squares Make Great Gifts!

Triangle quilt all done and ready to be shipped--it's a surprise gift! Shhhh!
I finished my triangle quilt!  I forgot to get real pictures before I sent it off though!  Doh!  This is a gift for a good friend (I can't say who until she receives it!)  I used an equilateral triangle ruler with a base of 6.5" unfinished to make the triangles.  I quilted it with concentric circles using my walking foot and a bar guide.  It stinks the first 2 or 3 circles when you're turning the whole quilt under your machine, but after that it gets really easy!  For the backing I used an IKEA fabric that I adore!  It's a bit wider than quilting cotton so I didn't have to piece the back!  The quilt finished 50-something" by 60-something".  I didn't take a real measurement, sorry!

I don't have a great method for sewing triangles together.  I'm more of the "better done than perfect" philosophy so sometimes the points look great and other times.....not so much.  I don't really stress about perfection in my piecing--this is a hobby; it's supposed to be fun people!  If I really want something perfect, I paper piece it!


Sometimes I need to make a block for no reason! #sewforfun
I started watching Vampire Diaries on Netflix (OMG! so many cuties in that show!) and decided to randomly fussy cut some squares to pass the time while I drooled over the actors.  Of course it ended up a rainbow!

16" pillow for @euphoria_jessica done!!! Happy housewarming!
I decided to make this into a pillow for my friend, Jessica, who recently moved to Portland.  It seemed just her style and every new house needs some Heather Ross rainbow-goodness!

15 comments:

Carol Swift said...

I love that triangle quilt and the way you quilted in circles is too cute. I started watching Vampire Diaries on Netflix, too...there definitely are some cuties on there (even if I'm old enough to be their grandma!) LOL

knottygnome said...

i love them both, but the colors you chose for the triangles quilt are just gorgeous. i really like the quilting too.

Lisa said...

Oh seriously, those triangles had me at hello...

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I LOVE your triangle quilt :)

Jessica said...

So, so pretty! I love everything from the triangles to the quilting to the backing :D

Kristie said...

That triangle quilt is one of my faces. And Vamp Diaries? You know how I feel about that. So glad you are getting sucked in, we have to chat and drool together. lol!

Jésabelle B. said...

Your probably in my top three favorite blog now... I love your style, your pictures always makes me wanna make a tone of projects. Your quilts are very nice, good job!

Tracey Jacobsen said...

great gifts indeed! The triangle person will love it... you're such a good friend! And the pillow is so cute too!

Anonymous said...

Those are just TOOO cute for words! Love your fabric choices!!!
Esther
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

Anonymous said...

i am totally with you on the "better done than perfect" philosophy for hobbies. only other quilters will notice mistakes; everyone else is amazed you can sew at all! love your project. i just got a triangle ruler, so i am a little nervous to hear that having the ruler doesn't mean all the pieces magically line up for you!

nicole said...

Love your triangles! And the quilting is perfect!

Christine S said...

This is great! I love the quilting, I want to try this so bad. You just gave me the inspiration to go for it :)

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

What a pretty triangle quilt! I like your "better done than perfect" slogan. So true!

Jenny said...

too crazy kelly! i just zipped thru the 3 seasons of vampire diaries on netflix myself. so much drammmmma! but yes...sugar sweet on the eyes!

great new projects! i really like the triangles

Debbie said...

these are delightful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...