Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Basic Zipper Video

A bit of pouch making going on this afternoon.
I made a few last minute gift pouches and I thought I'd share a quick little video tute on how I attach a zipper when I'm NOT using zipper tabs.  A few additional tips for how I make pouches
1.  I like to use a linen blend or home dec weight for the exterior.  It's not necessary, but they come out much nicer
2.  I use Shape Flex for interfacing on the EXTERIOR only.
3.  After the sides of the pouch are sewn together, I clip the corners if I'm making a square pouch and clip curves if I'm making rounded corners.
4.  I use a longer stich (3.0 setting on my BabyLock) to topstitch than I do to assemble the pouch.
5.  For this video and the pouches sewn, I used a 7" zipper, but the zipper tape was 8.5" long.  My fabric was cut 8.5"x6.5"
6.  Other than when I attach the zipper, I use a 3/8" seam allowance when assembling the pouch.
6.  I purchase all my zippers from ZipIt on Etsy

A few more zippered pouches because I was bored.

More zipper and lining action from today's endeavors!

Here's the video!  If there is enough interest in a longer version, I could probably show one from start to finish, but I feel there are lots of great tutes out there already.  It's usually just the zipper attachment people struggle with or fear so that's what I focused on.



9 comments:

Tennjenny said...

weird -- I'm sewing typewriters into pouches over here today.

Melissa Corry said...

Great video. That makes me want to try a pouch!!

Pat Merkle said...

Excellent video! Thanks for sharing!

Atomic Murphy said...

I still have a zipper pouch I want to make as a Christmas present so this is PERFECT timing! I used your other pouch tutorial and was a little confused with the top-stitching and now I understand. Thank you!

Debbie said...

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing. Unzipping that zip makes all the difference, doesn't it?

Jennifer said...

I've sewn many a zipper pouch but continue to struggle with fabric shifting and getting everything to line up correctly. I think your video and tips may just revolutionize my zipper sewing! :) Thanks so much!

Jennifer said...

I've sewn many a zipper pouch but continue to struggle with fabric shifting and getting everything to line up correctly. I think your video and tips may just revolutionize my zipper sewing! :) Thanks so much!

Jenny said...

thanks Kelly

pasqueflower said...

Your zippers look great! And I'm a big fan of kungfucowgirl at Zipit, too!!

Thanks for the tutorial. I love that you get a nice finished look without fiddling with tabs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...