Monday, April 11, 2011

Bottled Rainbows Progress

I'm participating in Rachel's Bottled Rainbows Quilt-a-long.  The brilliance of this quilt-a-long is (1) you can use scraps and (2) you can go at your own pace!  I've had my scraps sorted for a while, but it took me a while to sit down and form a block.  The time consuming part of this quilt is all the cutting of scraps to fit into the block.  I'm too lazy to stand up and do this at my cutting mat, so my scraps are hand cut while I lounge on the floor.  This has resulted in some no so straight scrappy pieces, but oh well!  Here are my blocks so far:
First Bottled Rainbows block
2nd Bottled Rainbows block
3rd Block for Bottled Rainbows
Bottled Rainbows Block #4
Bottled Rainbows Block #5
Bottled Rainbows Block #6
Bottled Rainbows Block #7
Bottled Rainbows Block #8
Bottled Rainbows Block #9
Bottled Rainbows, so far (9 of 16 blocks complete)

Not all of these scraps came from my own stash.  I had to do a little swapping to round out my collection.....ok, a lot of swapping.  There are just some colors (like purple) that I don't have a lot of.  I love purple, but there isn't a lot of fabric out there in that color.  Oh!  I have a tip for you if you plan on making these blocks--do NOT stack the blocks on top of each other with the batting of one block touching the front of another block. YIKES!  I had to lint roll a few blocks.  Instead, stack the blocks with front sides facing. 

Oh, and I was nominated by the awesome and talented Weekend-bag-maker Ali and the lovely and sweet Australian Jan-Maree for a Stylish Blogger Award.  Nice, right?  It's basically saying "Hey!  I like your blog and think you're cool!"  You're supposed to share 7 things about yourself and pass the honor along to other bloggers you enjoy.  It's a great way to discover new blogs!

7 things about me:

1.  I do not eat anything that comes from the ocean.  Nada.  I've tried it all and I hate all seafood.  I can choke down some fried fish if it's heavily battered, but I don't like it.
2.  I chew my hair absentmindedly.  I don't know why.  It's just habit.  I'm doing it right now!
3.  I have never broken a bone or had a nose bleed, but I accidentally stabbed scissors two inches into my leg when I was fourteen
4.  My three favorite smells are coffee, bacon, and books. Now if only the Starbucks inside Barnes and Noble served bacon, I would never leave.
5.  I have never played on a team sport outside of mandatory gym class.
6.  I can stand completely straight, knees locked, with my feet pointing behind me.
7.  I name my kids after characters in Nora Roberts' books

6 Blogs to check out

1.  Lisa at Crafting My Way Through Life
2.  Daddy Geek Boy  this is the blog of a crafty friend's husband.  So funny!!!!
3.  Elizabeth at Don't Call Me Betsy
4.  Michelle at I like orange too
5.  Stefanie (who also sells fabulous stationery!) at My Name is Stefanie and I'm a Craftaholic
6.  Kelly at SewKellySews
I'll leave it up to them whether they want to pass this along since these things come around a lot. :)

13 comments:

stefanie said...

Your blocks are looking really great. I can't wait to see how the quilt comes together. Sometime I need to do a similar project. I'm such an impatient crafter... I like to have my projects complete so I can start on something else... I think a project like that would force me to slow down a bit.

Thanks so much for the shout-out! I will definitely play along.

Katie B said...

Your rainbows blocks are looking beautiful! It's such a fun project.

And I'm with you on the seafood! Gross!

KendasCrafts said...

great job on the blocks! i love the fussy-cuts, especially the shoes! I love this quilt-along and really want to find the time to participate!

Lindsay Conner said...

This blocks are great! Can I say how much I love the row of shoes?

Unknown said...

Those are some crazy weird things about you, girl. Thanks for the shout-out for DGBs blog. You're a peach!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

You are so sweet to think of me!! :) Thank you!!!

I love your Bottled Rainbow blocks so far, they look great! And I'm with you on the purple, I had to do some swapping to make mine work out too. I love your random factoids, they're hysterical! I think if Barnes & Nobles's Starbucks served bacon, they'd make way more money. :)

Angela said...

Okay, i'm with you about all things except the smell of bacon. Can't do it!

And I love how you say that you don't eat things from the ocean. I always weird people out because I say that I don't eat things from water. As soon as you say that you don't like seafood, they say "but what about ____". Yup...don't like it. ;)

and I think those shoes are my favorite part and I still plan on stealing that idea shamelessly for one of my blocks. I love seeing your blocks because I haven't done any of these colors yet!

DGB said...

Hey...wow...thanks for the shout out!!! Your stuff is beautiful--for a non-cartoon, movie, non-geeky type of thing. :)

Tracey Jacobsen said...

didn't read the blog except to look at the pics... am rectifying that before I comment...

OK. Glad I read that -- thank you for the laugh! :) And I can't believe that thing about your feet...wow.

Too bad bacon completely grosses me out right now... otherwise I'd be with you! :)

Tracey Jacobsen said...

Oh... and I LOVE the blocks. love 'em, love 'em, love 'em.

Now I need to go make dinner... especially considering Steiger is on the tractor with Daddy, and I don't feel like puking (yea!). :)

Ali said...

#6 gives me the heeby-jeebies. And I've only made 1 Weekender Bag. One and done!

Lisa said...

Love your blocks! Thanks for the shout out but I probably deserve the lazy blogger award. And it will only get worse as it only dawned on my last night that I need to move in 6 weeks and I haven't done a thing.

Live a Colorful Life said...

LOVE your blocks! I'm just in the process of sorting scraps. You gave me some good ideas.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...