Monday, May 30, 2011

Goodie Bag Swap/Take Flight Bag Review

I was so excited to sign up for Angela and Kaelin's Goodie Bag Swap on Flickr!  I love making bags and since I've made a few, I signed up for the advanced category.  After receiving my {secret} partner, I knew I wanted to make the Take Flight bag from Amy Butler's most recent bag book.  Here are the results!





I did make a few changes to the pattern:
1.  I only put the petals on one side
2.  I didn't use the bias trim on the petals.  Instead, I make a second petal out of scrap white fabric, sewed right sides together, clipped curves, turned inside out and appliqued them on.
3.  I made the pockets differently.  I used the method found in Amy Butler's Sweet Harmony pattern to put full length open pockets on both sides of the back.  I could have added a zippered pocket (see my tutorial), but, frankly, this bag had enough steps already. :)  
4.  I interfaced the lining.  The pattern calls for home dec weight, but since I used a quilting cotton on the inside, I interfaced all the pieces.
5.  The pattern tells you to handstitch the lining into the bag.  No way Jose!  I just stitched over the zipper stitching to attach the lining.  It was a little hard to maneuver since the bag is HEAVILY interfaced, but it turned out pretty good!

Overall, this is a great pattern!  I didn't notice any mistakes.  I would caution about trimming the heavyweight interfacing.  The pattern says to trim 1/2" from all sides, but for the bottom exterior panel, I'd trim slightly more because it was nearly impossible to sew the second long side.  The heavy weight interfacing doesn't bend at all so it was a bit tricky to squish it down enough to lay the second long side flat enough to sew together with the main panel.  Trust me, this will make sense if you ever make this bag.  Ironically, this is supposed to be the hardest bag in the book, but I found it WAY easier than the Cosmo bag that is supposed to be one of the easiest!  I love the shape and the fact that it can stand up on its own!  Gotta love all that interfacing!  I'm not 100% satisfied with the petals, but I think that's because I probably wouldn't have put them on had this been a bag for myself.  Hopefully my partner will love them!

Bag fabrics:  
Exterior is a heavy suiting herringbone with appliqued petals using Kaffe and Michael Miller dots.
Interior prints are all Alexander Henry's Farmdale

9 comments:

Spontaneous Threads said...

I couldn't decide between this bag and the one I finally made for my partner. Oh, I so love this one, I'm so glad you made it so I could see how pretty it really is. Great job, if your partner doesn't like it they are crazy!

Wendy said...

This is a great bag!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Okay, I'll just start by saying that I am NOT a bag maker. Yet, I started on the AB Weekender Bag. Its construction difficulty has been called "infamous" on various pattern reviews I have read. It has piping. Enough said.

Your bag looks great!!

Tracey Jacobsen said...

so professional Kelly, and yet fun. :)
Most impressed.

Oh, and I felt like you today... I got my "If it's a girl" #1 quilt top done today... so much faster than I've been working lately! Now I can't wait to get it quilted.

Oops, this is your blog -- again, awesome bag. But I have all my pieces cut for a Cosmo bag, and now I'm nervous.

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

Gorgeous bag and thanks for the review, I *might* attempt this bag at some point having braved the Cosmo successfully!

Katie B said...

This is so fun! The lining is really cute too.

AllieKatMom said...

You are the Diva at making bags!!! I suck at it. LOL Maybe I should try making a few before I say I suck huh.
I like this a lot.

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

I love how your bag turned out! The gray looks awesome with the petals!

Lexilooo said...

this bag is really adorable! I get so nervous making bags, I don't know why...everyone always makes the cutest ones, but I get intimidated by the patterns!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...