Sunday, May 29, 2011

Workshop Project

I conducted a workshop for my guild on Thursday.  It was a surprise/contest workshop so those who signed up didn't know what fabric I would be bringing, but they were allowed to make whatever they wanted.  At the next guild meeting, we will vote on the best project and that person will win a prize!  Since 99% of the guild members are traditional (think batiks, civil war, etc.), I thought I'd push them in a new direction and give them something really bright and more modern to work with.  I was somewhat limited by the selection at our local quilting stores, but in the end I went with a Sugar Pop charm pack and 1/2 yard of a Bella solid.  Most of the ladies really took to the spirit of the idea and loved working with fabric they would have never bought.  I did have one lady wrinkle her nose at me and say she didn't like it--she almost didn't take it out of my hand!  I was a little surprised at her manners, but what can you do?  I'm going to try and remember to take pictures at the next meeting so you all can see what they created.  One lady finished a beach/summer tote while we were there and it came out GREAT!  I think even she was surprised how much she liked it in the end!


Anywho, I decided to do a relatively small project and make a Dresden pillow.  I still have quite a few charm squares left over.  I also experimented with hand-quilting.  I have to say, I really enjoyed the process and I'm now considering doing a whole quilt!  I wouldn't quilt it as dense as I did the pillow, obviously.  If anyone has a great source for pearl cotton size 8, let me know.

I'm also (finally) feeling a bit better.  I'm way behind on a few projects so I'm happy to finally feel up to a sewing marathon! :)  Hope you all have a great holiday weekend!

6 comments:

Anne at Film and Thread said...

Love your hand quilting! It really looks fabulous.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Glad you're feeling better. The pillow looks great - I love that you are pushing the 'traditionalists' out of their comfort zone!

Katie B said...

Your hand quilting looks really cool!

I've never shopped there myself, but I've heard people mention Yarn Bazaar for Perle size 8. Yarnbazaar.com

Beth said...

Wow Kelly, your hand quilting looks so fabulous! It really makes this pillow stunning. I think that is awesome you used modern fabric, despite most quilter's at your guild being so traditional!

AllieKatMom said...

Good to hear you are feeling better twinnie!
I love the hand quilting on this pillow...its so pretty. Almost looks like the wind. Does that make sense? LOL
I find it funny that the lady turned up her nose at the fabric. LOL Sugar pop is so mild compared to some of the "modern" fabric. I know my mom is more into traditional and batiks but she would probably be ok with Sugar Pop.

Jenniffier said...

That is so pretty. Love the quilting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...