Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Remember

Like most Americans, I remember this day clearly.  I was a junior at Washington University in St. Louis.   I had just gotten out of the shower and I was combing out my wet hair.  I turned on the TV for background noise while I got ready for a class--strangely, the name of the class was Sensation and Perception.   I knew immediately something had happened by the breaking news banner below the news anchor.  Within seconds of turning on the TV, while I'm still trying to figure out what is going on, I watched, horrified, as the second plane hit.  I didn't know what to do or who to call.  Did that just happen?  It couldn't be.  I watched the news up until the time I needed to leave for class--do we still have class?  I wasn't sure so I trudged over to campus.  About half the class showed up.  We all sat in silence for 10 minutes before the professor spoke up and told us we could leave.  It was so eerie.  Everyone was so quiet that day.

I hope everyone takes a little quiet time today to remember.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I distinctly remember where I was this day 10 years ago as well. I don't think we'll ever forget. I remember not understanding...and then too seeing the second plane hit. It was horrifying and mind boggling. I was teaching my first year and spent the day trying to still teach and eventually just sitting with my 7th grade girls at the end of the day. Trying to answer their questions with all the wisdom of an "adult" about what had happened and why anyone would do that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...