Monday, October 17, 2011

Drawstring Bags

I'm sure a lot of you follow Jeni from In Color Order, but if you don't, get your booty over there and check out the tutorial she just posted for these bags!  I whipped up four of them last night and I LOVE them!

What's funny is that I'm not even a big fan of drawstring bags!  ha ha!  I just wanted to make some to sell at the bazaar (hope that's ok Jeni) and when I finished, I didn't want to sell any of them! The only change I made to Jeni's pattern was to add a layer of Shape Flex interfacing to the exterior pieces only.  If I had used home dec weight fabric I would have just followed her instructions, but I thought the quilting cottons needed a bit of help.

My favorite is the bird one.  I was really pleased how the coordinating prints I chose worked there.  It's always difficult for me to know what's going to look good together on a finished project.  Sometimes it looks great as a pile, but not so much in the end.  I probably should have chosen different linings for a few of them, but live and learn!

12 comments:

Jeni Baker said...

That's too funny! I almost added interfacing to mine, but I have been using it so much lately, I wanted a project that didn't have it, haha :)

Miranda said...

Those are great little bags! I really like the one with the birds! I bet you'll sell them all.

Angela said...

woman you are a human sewing machine! How do you manage to produce so much?! And with two little boys? You put us all to shame. You'll definitely have to take lots of pics when you have all of your items together for sale. That's going to be some booth!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

You are going to have the coolest Bazaar stall!

Jan Maree said...

saw the tutorial and loved ther bags - you did a great job - and I agree the bird one is the cutest!

Ducks and Rabbits said...

Ooh thanks for sharing! I will definitely try this tutorial out. Your bags look great.

melissa said...

stop with the cuteness! i'm pretty sure that i'm going to actually loose money at this bazaar because all of my profits are going to go toward buying cute things from you! i have been eyeballing one of your awesome box pouches.

Beth said...

Yes, I am begining to think you sew in your sleep woman. Or you have a tiny army of mice to sew for you ala Cinderella style :)
The bags are great - they seems very practical for organizing toys and piles that always seem to accumulate!

Heather A said...

I, too, saw the tutorial and intend to make these. Thanks for sharing the adjustments you made. I'm a new sewer so variations are of great interest to me. Yours are lovely!

Poppyprint said...

I think they are all gorgeous! I feel the same way about drawstring bags..I'm just not sure what to do with them, but they look so darn pretty!

**nicke... said...

i pinned jeni's drawstring bag the other day because my kids NEED to have some of them. i love the bags you made. the bird one is my fave too!

Bearpawquilter said...

Last Easter I didn't want to buy any of the junky baskets available at the big W in town and my DIL doesn't need that kind of stuff cluttering their house. So I made drawstring bags instead to put my grandkids booty in. The kids ended up with a bag they could use for other purposes, ie. sleepovers or dance class.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...