Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Invasion!

They're coming!

My invasion pillow is complete!  Don't you just love it when you have a picture in your head and you make it come to life?  It's probably my favorite part of sewing, besides all the fabric!  I envisioned this pillow from the moment I opened the box from Fat Quarter Shop and saw among my goodies a Kona Poseidon bundle and the Space Invaders fabric.  I saw how well they matched and I thought, "They're coming!"  I made this to sell, but I may keep it a while longer because I'm really happy with how it turned out.  The back is made from Michael Miller's aqua and white ta-dot with an envelope closure.  I quilted a large X through the middle using painter's tape as a guide and then used the guide on my walking foot to make sure the rest of the lines were evenly spaced.  I cut (16) 2.5" colored squares, (12)  2.5" white squares, (3) 14.5"x2.5" white strips, (2) 3.5" x 14.5" white strips, and (2) 3.5 x 20" white strips.  I used 1/4" seam allowance throughout.  If you want to use 1/2" seam allowance when sewing the front to the back, simply make the 3.5" wide strips 3.75".  Pillow finishes at 19.5" square so it fits a 20" pillow--a perfect couch pillow! 

UPDATE:  now listed in my etsy shop

I decided to enter this pillow in the Blogger's Pillow Party.  They're giving away lots of cool prizes each month--cool being synonymous with fabric--and since I'm on a fabric diet, I could use a fix.  Oops!  Did I just sound like a drug addict?  Ah, well.  The first step is admitting you have problem. :)

Blogger's Pillow Party

12 comments:

Ducks and Rabbits said...

Love it! I would not be able to give this away.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Super cute!!! Love those little space invaders, and I adore the quilting on this :)

Tracey Jacobsen said...

turned out great Kelly! :)

AllieKatMom said...

Haha you fabric junkie!
So proud of my twin making cool stuff!! Do you like your new machine?

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

LOL. What a fun pillow (and post). Cool concept. The quilting was a great finishing touch.

Wendy said...

what a great pillow! I love the colours, and the space invaders fabric! The quilting is divine too.

Kaelin said...

you know...i wouldn't be opposed to you posting some measurements for that pillow....just sayin....cuz it's kinda awesome and i might want one for myself...

diana said...

This is such a cute pillow! the colours, the aliens...Love them!

Jamie said...

I really love this! Thanks for the painter's tape tip. I didn't know I could use that. I love learning from other people's blogs!

Anonymous said...

Seriously this is great.
I love the fabric choices all together and I especially love the quilting. It looks very smart indeed!

Lorraine said...

those blues are just perfect , I think your pillow is beautiful !!

Naturally Carol said...

Love your sense of humour and the way you executed this project...a beautiful piece of work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...