Friday, August 19, 2011

Inspired.....Er, Copied


I was sitting in the middle of a very messy sewing room feeling uninspired, but I wanted to make a quick something for the bazaar.  I was starting to get frustrated when I remembered seeing Tamiko's beautiful, simple quilt the other day.  Bingo!  I had a Kona charm pack and this was easily a project I could whip up in an evening.  Hooray!

I accidentally left out a whole row because it fell beneath my sewing chair, but, in retrospect, I'm happy it got left behind since it was another whole row of green and I think it would have been too much.
My natural instinct with rainbow quilts is to bind them in a grey or black--I've done this on two previous rainbow quilts.  For this one, however, I chose a solid red for binding because I wanted to keep the quilt gender neutral and still baby-ish.  I thought grey or black would seem too modern.

I am most happy with the back!  My hubby thinks I should display the quilt this way because he thinks its so cute (no he didn't use that word).  I traded for this old Alexander Henry print a long time ago, but I've never found the right project for it.  I knew I wanted it for a baby quilt backing, but I could never decide on a quilt top design that would match.  This was a perfect fit, literally!  I couldn't even trim an inch around after I finished quilting.  I used up every last centimeter of backing!  

Simple, fast, and satisfying, what more could you ask for in a project?


7 comments:

ellesquare said...

so cute, Kelly. I saw that quilt, too, and wanted to copy it immediately!

AllieKatMom said...

I think it turned out perfect! Love the rainbows on the back and the front...plus I really would be surprised if this didn't sell. Its Noah's Ark and didn't you say the Bazaar is at your church?
Who wouldn't want this awesome homemade goodie :)

I like the red binding. I think the gray would have been too boring on this quilt. Just because it is already really simplistic.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Got a feeling I may be 'inspired' by this too!!
It's lovely, and the backing is so perfect x

Katie B said...

Such a fun and happy quilt!!

Jan Maree said...

I almost agree with your hubby re displaying the back except that I love the front too - great baby quilt!

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

This is so pretty, love it!

Patchwork notes said...

Looks great! I'm so glad that you were inspired to make your own!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...