Thursday, August 11, 2011

Ultra Special Wedding Quilt

001
Now that my best friend has received it, I can finally post pictures of my completed Bottled Rainbows quilt!  When I started this quilt it was for me and for fun (many thanks to Rachel for the QAL!).  I already had another quilt in mind to make my friend as her wedding gift, but as time went on, I didn't feel my original idea was special enough.  Then it hit me!  Duh!  I should make the Bottled Rainbows for her!  This is such a special quilt with so many special fabrics (not that she understands, but, whatever, I know they're special).  One block has special meaning for her (the pink one).  When my friend was getting back into the dating world after her divorce, she would journal about her dates and compare them to shoes.  I just KNEW I had to include some of the Heather Ross Munki Munki shoes in this quilt!
Bottled Rainbows completed
I opted to used a modified zig zag to quilt this one--mostly because I stink at straight line!  Since the blocks were quilt as you go, it didn't take long to do some minimal quilting over the seam lines.
Bottled Rainbows completed
Bottled Rainbows completed
I also machine stitched the binding down with invisible thread in the bobbin and light grey for the top--I sewed it to the back first then brought it around to the front.  I just started using this method for binding and I love how quick it is and how neat the binding still looks.  It's not as perfect as handsewing, but when I have a million projects on my plate, something has to give.
Bottled Rainbows completed
Bottled Rainbows completed
For the backing I chose an Alexander Henry butterfly print since the theme of her wedding was butterflies.  Really, that one was a no brainer!  The only downside I found was that because my backing had a light background, you can see the pressed open seams of the colored blocks.  I chalk this up to just one of the down sides to quilt-as-you-go.  It's still pretty from the front and I doubt anyone other than another quilter would be bothered by that. :)

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks great and I love that AH backing. Your friend must be over the moon.

Jess said...

This is stunning! What a thoughtful and meaningful gift.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

This looks super fab!!! I had wondered about whether or not you finished off your Bottled Rainbows quilt :) I love the binding you chose, works perfect, and the zig-zag quilting looks wonderful too!

Toni said...

It's beautiful! I think your binding choice was perfect, and I love that you personalized it for your friend.

stefanie said...

This is a stunner. You've done a great job. There is no reason to apologize for machine stitched binding. There are very few rules in quilting that have to be followed, and that's not one of them. If you do it right, the result is so pretty. Congrats, girl!

Katie B said...

I love it! Lucky friend. Even if she doesn't realize how precious this fabric is, I know she'll cherish the quilt because of the time and thought you put into it.

(And I need to figure out how to machine stitch binding without it looing sloppy.)

Tracey Jacobsen said...

such a good friend... :)
Beautiful quilt Kelly... ♥

Lindsay Conner said...

What an amazing wedding gift! And, it matches your new header :)

Jerimi (threecatlimit.com) said...

Perfect backing choice! Your quilt is gorgeous - what a kind wedding gift. I hope mine turns out half as pretty. :P

Sarah said...

I have seen the quilt as you go method...however, do the seams end up bulky?

Ducks and Rabbits said...

Gorgeous! What a special present.

felicity said...

Fabulous quilt! And such a nice story - you have a lucky friend!

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Invisible thread for binding - great idea! It's so fun to see your finish and that someone else used the zigzag quilting. The zigzags make me smile!

ellesquare said...

lovely, lovely, lovely. and the machine binding looks great! ;)

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

Your finished quilt looks amazing and I adore the fabric you chose for the back! I started mine towards the middle of Summer and just finished my 6th block tonight! It's a lot of fun and I can't wait until I am completely finished too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...